Friday, February 08, 2008

December 29, 1956

Here are three fantastic, colorful photos from the very end of Disneyland's second year (even though it was technically only open for half of 1955).

Congratulations to you, this is the one millionth picture that you have seen that was taken from the Skyway! It's quite an achievement. Don't ask how I've been keeping track, that's my little secret. We're looking down on the Pirate Ship back in the days when it was in a ce-ment pond. Look at all the people on the poop deck! (Heh heh...)


The sun starts to set pretty early in December, and the shadows are growing longer and longer in this view of the friendly Indian village. Behind the village you can see the track where the Disneyland RR went. There's no kid & dog standing on the overturned canoe because the kid is indoors watching TV.


We're back on solid ground, in Fantasyland. There goes the Skyway overhead, the cables leading our eyes to the Chalet. The crowds were heavy as 1956 came to a close, and it was a beautiful day to be at the park!

4 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

A great picture of the Skyway Chalet. The kid & the dog are watching Rin Tin Tin on TV.

Anonymous said...

Great photos! I've never seen the Chicken of the Sea from that angle before...I hadn't quite realized before that it was right in front of Casey Jr. I think I need a diagram of how things used to be laid out--I just can't picture it!

It's also neat that (I think) you can see one of the castles from the Storybook Canal in the distance behind the Indian Village.

Great shots!

BrerDan

Unknown said...

I don't think I could ever get sick of the Skyway photos! Such a unique perspective.

Matterhorn1959 said...

The palm trees are a nice touch, not something you would expect to see in Fantasyland which was supposed to be an English Medevil town.