Saturday, February 09, 2008

Four from 1967

Happy saturday, everybody. Today we have four slides from 1967 to make your eyebones smile.

This first image is reminiscent of one that Matterhorn1959 posted a few weeks ago, only his was cool and vintagey. Mine is cropped strangely, I figured you wouldn't miss a few inches of blindingly white sky. Anyway, Coxpilot clarified that the window to the left was an entrance for VIP's and special guests. Hey, isn't that the Fred Gurley a-waitin' at the station up there?


Well yes, it IS the Fred Gurley, bright and shiny. It would be cool if somebody could identify the two fellas inside the cab. Dude, I'll give you $5 for your badge! And I'll throw in an extra buck for your hat. In the tunnel beneath us, you can just make out a Jungle Cruise poster.


These two happy kids are going to love their ride on It's A Small World, which was still pretty new to Disneyland in 1967. I get a kick out of the boy's Huckleberry Hound shirt!


And finally, just because it's from the same lot and it was scanned, here are a bunch of flying elephants. They can't ALL be Dumbo, can they? Also, I've always wondered why Dumbo's trunk is curled in a manner that suggests that he should be holding a magic feather. And yet....no feather. It makes me cry myself to sleep every night.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That Huckleberry Hound tee is a great find!

And, you're right; where's the feather? It's not like Timothy Mouse has it.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

I wondered about the feather too, but look, those Dumbo's (Dumbi?) have a silly grin on thier faces, maybe they are hidding it from Timothy! Great set, nice 1967 mood, love the Huckleberry Hound shirt!

The Viewliner Limited said...

What is it about the Exit gate that fascinates me so much? I never wanted to leave. Beautiful picture of the Fred Gurley engine. If you get a chance you need to post a blow up of the Tee shirt, it is "ULTIMATE" cool! Thanks Major

Anonymous said...

The arms that raise Dumbo were striped exactly like the fruit flavors of Beechnut gum, at least that's what I thought when I visited Disneyland as a kid in the mid 60's. Made me hungry too. That's a fleck of memory that hasn't seen the light of day in 40 years. Thanks for liberating it.

BTW, if you missed the tutti-fruity flavor craze of the 60's, this commerical will let you know what I am talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUKenR9k238&NR=1

The commercial is in black and white, but try to imagine it in fruity color ... (admittedly easier if it were narrated by Paul Lynde)

Katella Gate