Saturday, February 23, 2008

Yet More Stuff from July, 1961

You may have noticed that I often use my saturday and sunday posts as an excuse to do a little "house cleaning", posting scans that might not be the most exciting in the world... but hopefully still nice enough that you were still glad you visited the blog! Today I am taking care of four slides from that large batch, circa July 1961.

Here's the E.P. Ripley, hauling those original yellow passenger cars. It's 4:15! Thanks, Timex clock.


It's the stockade, portal to all things fronitier-ish. There's a frame on one of the gates, I've never seen an attraction poster in it, although that's what it appears to be for...


Looks like it was a perfect July day when these photos were taken. The crowds aren't too bad, considering. There's the Surrey, and you can see an airplane overhead in the upper left (the plane required 20 "E tickets").


And lastly, it's the horse-drawn streetcar with a full load of passengers. Including kids with their souvenir hats and Mickey-shaped balloons.

5 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

These are very exciting pics to me. And I am glad I visited, as always.

Jason Schultz said...

It does look like a nice day to visit the Park (and your blog!). In modern-day Disneyland, that rectangular hanging on the stockade entrance gate is about the flags flying over the stockade (Flags of the Revolutionary War). I have a photo from February 1962 of which I can read the title of the text in that hanging, and it says "The Log Fort."

Jason Schultz said...

Looking at other photos I have, it looks like there are text "plaques" on BOTH doors of the entrance stockade, so "The Log Fort" text may still be around...

Daveland said...

Major: Here's a link to a closeup of the gate poster frame you were referring to; this one from March 1968:

http://davelandweb.com/frontierland/images/KTPBKYC_R2_3_68_N01.jpg

Major Pepperidge said...

Viewliner and Progressland, thanks for your nice comments! And Daveland, that is a great detail; I guess that in my photo it is too indistinct to make out the actual poster. Thanks!